Overcome evil…with Good
Romans 12:20-21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good
- Burning coals – heaping a sense of shame on our enemies for harming a source of life to them
Overcoming evil with evil is like fighting fire with fire. It may give an appearance of victory but always leaves behind a mess, often worse than the original problem.
Lincoln – reconstruction goals
2 Kings 6:8-17 Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.
Only when we have our eyes opened to the invisible realm can we be postured to prevail in spiritual warfare. Without a revelation of God’s power and presence we always try to win with our weak, carnal weapons.
We are seeing heavenly reality when…
- We involve God in ALL processing of the situation.
- Anxiety and worry are replaced by peace and confidence.
- We have a hopeful outlook, even if nothing has changed.
2 Kings 6:18-20 O Lord, open the eyes of these men, that they may see..
Spiritual Authority is granted to the sons of God not to rule over anyone, but rather to open the eyes of the spiritually blind, so they might seethe Lord.
Isa 42:6-7 to open blind eyes…
- Spiritual blindness is the cause of people’s resistance to the love of God.
2 Kings 6:21-23 Set bread and water before them
God’s role in warfare is to disarm principalities and powers, so that His people can show those once opposed to Him how good and kind He really is.