Luke 10:1-12 If a man of peace is there, your peace will rest on him; ...Stay in that house,.
- Houses of peace: places where the Prince of Peace abides
- Peace: Shalom: made whole – nothing missing or broken.
- 50 Generations later, there are billions of such houses in the world! WE are those houses of peace.
Whatever other sphere of influence the Lord gives you, your first one is your own home/ household
Hospitality evangelism: a true stretch for American culture, but it’s all over the new testament!
HOSPITALity…where people get healed up and sent back out! WORDS
- Hospitality: the ancient way of God’s people – connects us to those living outside the family of God
Lev 19:33-34 ‘When a stranger resides with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. ‘The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt; I am the LORD your God.
- You know what it’s like to be alienated from the family of God, and from your homeland, so…
- Let strangers in, so that they can experience what you are experiencing in God!
Rom 12:13 contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality. Practice first on the saints
1Ti 5:10 [widows…] having a reputation for good works; and if she has brought up children, if she has shown hospitality to strangers, if she has washed the saints’ feet, if she has assisted those in distress, and if she has devoted herself to every good work. Biblical hospitality was designed for strangers
Heb 13:2 Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it.
1Ti 3:2 An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable [lit: given to hospitality], able to teach…
1Pe 4:9 Be hospitable to one another without complaint.
- Inviting people in to your home – a very intimate experience introverts will need help with this!
- HOSPITALity…where people get healed up and sent back out!
- Q: Are you experiencing a house of peace? Or is yours a house of strife? To be more effective out there, begin by being effective at home.
- NOT that your home needs to be in perfect order. – Our imperfections are enticing to an orphan culture
Keep it simple Don’t need the fancy dishes, and its ok if the house isn’t perfect. Serve something simple.
Use the kids Children are the easiest to evangelize, and make the most natural evangelists!
make it a lifestyle: Invite people in to your everyday life, too – go to the park with them, etc.
Be wise NOT fearful, but wise.
Be prepared: God may just show up for dinner, too…
Parable of the sheep and the goats…sheep are characterized by inviting strangers in…