Luke 5:1-11 The first catch
the fishermen had gotten out of them and were washing their nets.
- A sign they were finished – not just taking a break.
Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch.
- Wholehearted commitment – go all the way in to the deep
Master, we worked hard all night and caught nothing,
- After such discouragement, they really just wanted to go home
- Now some rabbi is going to tell them how to fish?!?
- The trap of wrong expectationsTHE OAK TREE
Nevertheless, at your word…
- The Word of the Lord is ALWAYS the determining factor in life.
- Dis-couragement is inevitable, but His word brings life and hope – when we obey it.
When they had done this, they enclosed a great quantity of fish, and their nets began to break;.
- Found them failing at something they were familiar with… miracle power to succeed
Do not fear, from now on you will be catching men
- FIRST Q They had a miraculous catch – would they follow, or stay fishermen? – like Deal or No Deal
- they left everything and followed Him.
Children, you do not have any fish, do you?
- You are meant to be fishing for men…you’ll have to leave this behind now
Cast the net on the right-hand side of the boat and you will find a catch.
- You’re not going to be able to do this without me.
they saw a charcoal fire already laid and fish placed on it, and bread.
- “I’ll do this with or without you…”
“Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these?”
- “These” – the fish?
BEFORE AND AFTER (being with Jesus)
Luke 5:6 …they caught a great number of fish, and their net was breaking.
John 19:11 …although there were so many, the net was not broken