The Law of Christ
Gal 6:1-5 bear one another’s burdens and thereby fulfill the law of Christ
- Read your own mail! Balance: Bear burdens AND carry your own load.
The law of Christ: John 13:34-35 a new commandment I give to you…
- Jesus loved us by stooping down to meet our need. By being touched with the feeling of our infirmities.
The surest measure of health in a local church is its demonstration of authentic, restorative love, which is the fruit of a maturing believer.
1 If anyone is caught in a trespass…
How we deal with manifest sin is a good indicator of whether we have been maturing in love or into legalism. Love seeks restoration from a place of humility; legalism condemns from a place of self-righteousness.
2 Bear one another’s burdens…
- Burden = an oppressive weight – specifically the weight of sin and its consequences
- A spiritual person will help carry this load
Ecc 4:9-10 Two are better than one…
- Most who end up at rock bottom got there because no one was there to help them when they fell.
- God uses people!
RICH MULLINS QUOTE
5 For each one will bear his own load.
- Load = the cargo of a ship – it’s what YOU carry
- Eventually, each must also rise, pick up our palates and walk!
There is no “freeloading” in the body of Christ. Every member who receives is also required to give — in whatever measure s/he is capable of. Every member must “carry his/ her own weight, ” freely receiving and freely giving what s/he can.
- Some things need to be carried by the grace of God – not by another!
1 Cor 12:12-27
What is a current burden/ need for which you would appreciate help from the body?
What kind of need(s) do you most enjoy (or feel most skilled) at meeting?