What is God doing?
John 9 the man born blind Happened just outside of Jerusalem …The situation … the reactions to it.
Jesus provides the normal reaction, and His way of performing the miracle draws out something he wanted his disciples to see. Everyone involved had ideas about God and His ways which were wrong
The reaction of the disciples:
Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he would be born blind?
- It’s what they had been taught.
- Jesus would open their eyes to the bankruptcy of carnal and religious thinking
The reaction of the neighbors: (8-12)
- Skepticism, even unbelief… let’s take him to the Pharisees and see what they think
The reaction of the Pharisees (13-29) This man is not from God, because He does not keep the Sabbath.
- This does not fit our grid. God can be reduced to logic (ours) and principles
- Divided – some were willing to see things a new way.
- He doesn’t dance to our tune, so he can’t be from God
- A sinner cannot do miracles…you are either lying or…well, we don’t know what but we’ll put you out
The intimidation of the parents (18-23) they were afraid of the Jews;
- To be put out of the synagogue was the ultimate ostracization – social and economic rejects
- Yes, he was born blind, but we’re not touching this issue with a 10’ pole!
- He’s a big boy, he can speak for himself
The reaction of the man (27-34) Suddenly finds his chutzpah – both sets of eyes now opened!
- Amazing…you can’t recognize the works of God right under your nose
The instructions of the master:
(39) “For judgment I came into this world, so that those who do not see may see, and that those who see may become blind.”
- Those who “see” by the light of their own understanding – are actually walking in darkness
- It gets revealed when something extraordinary happens, but it’s always there
What does He want us to be able to see? (v3-7)
- The question of life, for every circumstance is…What is GOD doing right now, in the midst of this?
- Most every time, seeing what GOD is doing à a concrete expression of His love, NOT a debate
3 so that the works of God might be displayed in him.
5 “While I am in the world, I am the Light of the world.” … NOW, “You are the light of the world”
- WE must now reveal to those who cannot see it what GOD is doing in the midst of all things
“Go, wash in the pool of Siloam” (translated, Sent). So he went away and washed, and came back seeing.
- So must we…have our eyes washed, to view ALL OF LIFE with the question: What is GOD doing now?