With the firstfruits of all your increase
- Before anything else, God gets HIS portion. CAIN AND ABEL
33 with wrath poured out
- Not against US…against the sin which plagues us
- Only if we insist of retaining fellowship with it does God’s wrath harm us. (fleeing Sodom)
37 I will make you pass under the rod,
- Shepherd’s rod – for defending flock Used for inspection of the sheep
- Our attitude toward His rod reflects our belief about who He is.
and I will bring you into the bond of the covenant
- Only when we permit the shepherd to inspect us are we truly in covenant with him. PETER
39 My holy name you will profane no longer with your gifts and with your idols.
- Gifts – when we ring leftovers to the Lord, it is because we have idols we have been worshipping.
- The first commandment – no other gods BEFORE me…
An Idol is: Anything which replaces God in our lives…to which we give the first and best of our time, attention and resources
40 I will seek your contributions and the choicest of your gifts
- HE gets the best!