Christ in you, the hope of Glory…
The purpose of every covenant God made with our ancestors was to make it possible for us – though still infected by sin – to be in His presence. Only the New Covenant – the eternal one – transforms us into holy ones who can actually carry His presence IN us.
John 17:21-23 I in them, and you in me…
The tabernacle: that I might dwell in the midst of my people
The ark of the covenant/ testimony – the purpose of all the hoops and ministry happening in the tabernacle
10 “They shall construct an ark of acacia wood (born from the earth/ incorruptible)
- “Incorruptible wood” – gnarled and twisted, made straight in the hands of master craftsmen
1 Corinthians 6:19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?
11 “You shall overlay it with pure gold, inside and out
- Gold = glory – not just on the outside but within!
- Matt 23:25-28 – not for outward show!
16 “You shall put into the ark the testimony which I shall give you
- The commandments — His word, written on our hearts – we have new desires now!
- The manna — daily bread – His provision of word and life sustenance
- The rod – His ministry through us to the world
17 “You shall make a mercy seat of pure gold
- Mercy seat – place of propitiation/ mercy demonstrated for our sins
18 “You shall make two cherubim of gold
- Guarding the way to Eden – NO LONGER!
22 “There I will meet with you – God interacts with us in the place of mercy
- All This used to be behind a veil…
Num 4:5 When the camp sets out, Aaron and his sons shall go in and they shall take down the veil of the screen and cover the ark of the testimony with it;
2 Cor 5:16-21
As carriers of the presence of God, our greatest glory is to demonstrate His mercy – to preach with our words and our lives that the way back to God is wide open for all who want it!