Rooted and Established Part 6: The Communion of the Saints
READ TOGETHER: Eph 3:14-18- that you, being rooted and established in love…
- Rooted in loving God, hearing His voice, watching what we eat, rooted in love –
- You cannot say you love God unless you love His people…all of them:
1 John 4:16-21 …If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen.
- There is no escaping this, or rationalizing it away!
Acts 2:42-47 THE COMMUNION OF THE SAINTS
- …the normal life of the first church, which was a continuation of what Jesus did with the 12
- The WAY…
The Apostles’ doctrine: Why Not “Jesus’ doctrine?
- It’s a life to be followed, and truths to be seen in the life of local leadership
- The apostles (“sent ones”) WERE the representation of Jesus way of life to the people.
- Their doctrine had one goal: to send out other apostles
1 Timothy 1:5 But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.
Fellowship: (koinōnia) = communion, fellowship, sharing…) first used here
- A sharing of a common life, experience. – MORE than just getting together!
1 John 1:6-7 If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
Breaking of bread: This is my body…
- Common way of opening a meal – inviting the Lord’s presence
- Also – a way of sharing in the brokenness of Jesus together – a COMMON table
1 Corinthians 10:16-17 Is not the cup of blessing which we bless a sharing (koinōnia) in the blood of Christ? Is not the bread which we break a sharing (koinōnia) in the body of Christ? Since there is one bread, we who are many are one body; for we all partake of the one bread.
- Always calling upon the name of the Lord!
- Why pray when He knows our need, and we have acknowledged His presence? THAT is how relationships get built!!!
Communion in 3-5’s. Do the 4 practices together
What did you learn? How will you apply it in our life together? break bread together, asking jesus to manifest in your midst. Pray for one another