When God whispers
1 Kings 19 Elijah at Mount Horeb
- Following Mt.Carmel victory – fire from heaven, rain came after 3 ½ years of drought
- Breakthrough had finally come, and it was a new day for Israel!
- With every new day come a period of shaking and breaking as the new thing emerges
- The enemy, with a last gasp of breath sends out threats (that’s the only tool he has left)
1-8 Jezebel’s threats send Elijah into depression
- The juniper tree – fed by angels juniper: Heb: ratham: to yoke up/ to bind.
- Provides great shelter – its roots are symbolic of desperation (starving people eat these)
- When we are at our lowest, he seeks to bind up to him closer than ever!
- When we only seek His provision and comfort, we miss the new day!
- In our lowest moments – he is there to heal
9-21 Elijah’s encounter at Horeb
What are you doing here, Elijah?
- Here as opposed to where?
- Horeb: where Moses received His call, and where Elijah laid his down
- Where it all began, but not where we are meant to LIVE
I alone am left
- All stripped away – now his pride, self-centered mindset come to forefront
Wind & Earthquake & Fire
- The Lord was not “in” these things – these clear away the clutter for the new season
A Gentle blowing (“A Still, small voice”) – “Shhhhhhh”
- When God whispers to our spirit – “Be still, and Know that I am God.”
His intent to restore us – Elijah would not receive that – stayed offended.
v.18 I will leave 7000 in Israel…
- Enter into his rest, take on His yoke, and find perfect peace.