Men of Courage
Joshua 1:6-9 Be strong and courageous (3x)
- The world needs men of courage.
- Self-preservation is the antithesis of courage. Greater LOVE has no man than this…
- Courageous is something all men wish to be known for – men heroes are warriors.
- This is why men do stupid acts of courage to prove their mettle to the girls. (today it’s sports)
- Men without a real battle become passive and video life’s events rather than get involved.
- Self preservation is not courage. It is a form of cowardice.
TO DEAL WITH OUR LACK OF COURAGE, WE MUST BE WILLING TO GO WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE.
- It’s going to take courage to conquer the promised land of our hearts!
- Pioneering that realm is the most frightening road of all.
A Man’s #1 fear is not death – it’s being exposed. Being known. Wade Hugendubler
- Deepest question of a man’s heart “do I have what it takes?”
- His deepest fear is that the answer might be, “no.”
This is why men are so likely to struggle with: (and How David Got it Right)
- Admitting when we’re wrong (Psalm 51)
- Allowing themselves to be seen (Psalm 139)
- Risking failure…trusting God (Psalm 57)
- Admitting they are afraid (Psalm 55:4-7)
- A man’s greatest fear of failure is relationships. That’s why men avoid deep, genuine ones.
- Being a husband…a father…is to launch on the most fearful journey of all!
- Both roles will REQUIRE exploration of the heart. …that’s why wives are our help mates
- Or else we defend ourselves at every turn, rather than love with self-sacrifice.
To become the embodiment of courage, we must learn how to be vulnerable (woundable)
- Sword and shield down…the origin of the handshake
- The bravest man who ever lived was Jesus His self introduction: I am meek and lowly of heart
- by learning to be vulnerable in our hearts, we grow back into being men who lay down our lives.
- Courageous people are people who live from their heart
- Watchmaker’s daughter saving Jews from Nazis (Corrie TenBoom)
- A stock trader saving his father (Ken Simon)
- A software salesman saving a plane from hijackers (Todd Beamer)